Natural Teeth Whitening Ideas
Many factors can negatively affect the natural color of your teeth. Surface stains and discolorations typically occur due to:
- Tobacco usage
- Coffee, tea, cola or red wine
- Accumulation of plaque and tartar deposits
Whitening your teeth can significantly boost your confidence and self-esteem. Whiter teeth make you appear younger and ensure a good first impression. With a little bit of patience you can successfully whiten your teeth from home. While natural teeth whitening treatments will not work as well as professional teeth whitening treatments, they are a great place to start if you are looking to improve your smile.
- Brush and Floss Regularly:The very best thing that you can do for your overall oral health is to brush and floss after every single meal. Brushing after eating helps to remove plaque before it is able to yellow your teeth. Regular flossing helps remove stains from between your teeth, making your smile appear brighter.
Baking Soda and Lemon Juice:Mix several teaspoons of baking soda with enough fresh lemon juice to make a paste. Apply a good amount of the paste to your teeth with a clean toothbrush. Rinse after one minute.
The lemon juice acts as natural bleach and the baking soda acts as a mild abrasive, gently scrubbing away any surface stains. Be careful not to overdo it as the acid in the lemon juice can negatively affect your tooth enamel.
- Strawberries, Salt and Baking Soda:Mash one to three strawberries; add a pinch of sea salt and a half-teaspoon of baking soda. Apply the paste to your teeth with a clean toothbrush. Rinse after five minutes. The strawberries will help to break down plaque build-up and the salt and baking soda acts as a natural abrasive.
Coconut Oil:Before brushing your teeth in the morning, place about one tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth. Swish it around your mouth and through your teeth for approximately fifteen minutes. Spit the oil out, rinse and brush your teeth.
This method, known as oil pulling, has been used for thousands of years to whiten teeth, promote gum health and freshen breath. The lauric acid in the coconut oil eliminates the bacteria in plaque that can turn your teeth yellow.
- Eat Your Vegetables:Crunchy vegetables like raw celery and carrots are naturally abrasive and can polish your teeth without harming or eroding your tooth enamel. These crunchy snacks also encourage your mouth to produce saliva which helps protect your teeth against cavity-causing bacteria. Additionally, saliva contains surfactants and special enzymes that act as natural detergents for your teeth.
Fredericksburg and Montclair Family Dentistry offers effective, high quality teeth whitening treatments. For more information, please contact them today.